Wednesday, February 15, 2017




To our Members and Friends:

Notification delivered by our board member Dave Goodwin.
Bob is Elliot's cousin.

For more information please  contact Elliott

YM

Hello All -

Lithuania Visit

I am finalizing plans to visit Romshoshok in May.  Along with Mark Mayper and family (Mark's father left Romshoshok in 1939, and Mark wants to visit the places about which his father told him), I will be going to Vilnius (Vilna), Kaunas (Kovno) and Rumsiskes (Romshoshok) for a total of 6 days (May 19-25).   During most of the trip, the director of the Jewish Library in Vilnius, Zilvinas Beliauskas, will act as our guide and interpreter in Vilnius, Kaunas and Rumsiskes, and he will also be arranging travel around Rumsiskes with the head of the Kovno Jewish community.   In addition, we will visit a couple of other nearby towns where old wooden synagogues are being restored.   Who knows what else we may see!

An important part of the trip for us will be to venture into the current town of Rumsiskes and seek out older people who may remember before the way, and may remember some Matzes. 

Anyone who wishes to join us would be most welcome.  Travel in Lithuania is very reasonable.


Israel Visit

I will also be visiting Israel for 5 nights after Lithuania (May 25-30).  I will be swapping my New York apartment with an apartment owned by couple in Tel Aviv.

I will be meeting Bina and Eliezer Rechtshafer and family while I am there, and I am hoping that we can arrange a meet-up of Matz relatives - similar to the one we had in 2012 - perhaps on Saturday evening, May 27th?    

Bina and Eliezer:  Would that work for you?  Can you write it into your calendars?

I will bring along an updated version of the Family Tree Chart that we looked at in 2012 at the home of Efrat Adler in Jerusalem (video of that evening is here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CqwGoSA75Q&t=28s.

Bina and Eliezer:  I have attached an updated jpeg of the Family Tree Chart.   Could you look at it, see if it is accurate where it shows your family, and let me know of any additional information to add?   Once you have looked at it, I will send it out to be printed on a roll, and I will bring that along with me to Israel.

I look forward to hearing from you, and to seeing you in May!

Cousin Elliot Matz
Skype:  esmatz
mobile:  US 917-692-1909